THIS AIN'T FISHING

Well what a way to ring in the new year. Not for me the usual round of excesses and sore heads in the morning this year I decided to do something different and actually have a photo of a "proper un" to start the year off in fine style. As the man with the responsibility of maintaining the blog, along with my assistant YTS trainee Mr fat fingers oops I've pressed the wrong button Larkins, I have decided to go against the secret squirrel pike anglers grain and actually write about my recent trip out.

I decided that new years eve through to new years day was going to be my plan of attack. That way with me safely plotted up and out of the way of any loud parties and the temptations of the dreaded Spiced Rum I would have more of a chance of getting the photo that in years to come I could look back on and say "Wow! I remember that day well, what a result."

We have all been there. The sleepless night before, picking your spot and the hopeful waiting in anticipation for something, anything to happen. It was no different for me. I arrived at the venue early afternoon after a fitful nights sleep. Too many things had been running through my mind. Things that I could do, things that I must do, what ifs etc etc. Is that the same for everyone? Does everyone run numerous permutations through their brain before venturing out or is it just me. I suspect I know the answer.

I did a quick scan of the place and decided in a comfortable corner. I was away from the majority of the gawpers and walkers that these sort of places attract. There was no wind and all was calm on the surface but the hairs on the back of my neck were working overtime. Every now and again I get that "This'll be a trip to remember" feeling and its never wrong. I was getting it big time and knew from past experience that I needed to sit this one out. I needed to be here and was going to rewarded for my effort.

The day started very slowly. The wind had got up and the rain started but in my little corner I was sheltered and protected. Nothing much was happening where I was but I noticed that a few others were having their own battles and whoops of joy confirmed that things were definitely happening elsewhere. I caught a glimpse of one lucky fella proudly holding a very big girl and the various camera flashes through the night confirmed that I should not be anywhere else.

The night passed without much happening. The usual false alarms were followed by periods of extreme boredom. I read a little, walked around the area, phoned some mates, asked the few people still around at that time of night, either being nosey or looking for their own place to plot up, if they had seen anything or even if they knew of anything that may be happening. The same answer was always forthcoming. Nope! No one knew anything, no one had seen anything and no one had any news that I would be remotely interested in. Oh well roll another fag. Does anyone else do that or is it just my generation. Whenever I need something to happen after a long period of inactivity I do one, or sometimes both of these things. I roll a fag or I pour a coffee. How many times have I done that and get an immediate response? I'll bet a months money most of you from a certain generation have done the same, and you'll back me up when I say it works. Well most of the time anyway.

This night was going to be one of those nights when it didn't. A windy rain lashed night passed by very slowly. Others there were getting some right results but that one photo eluded me. How could I have got it so wrong. That prickly hair feeling was as strong as ever. It had never let me down before. Was this going to be the first time? Nah, as my old mate Andy is fond of saying "Plenty of time yet." even as we're pulling in the last but one rod he'll say "We still got time." His optimism is an inspiration. He's always fecking wrong of course but its still an inspiration nonetheless. To say I was uncomfortable would be an understatement. I've already said that the plan was to do two days and one night. I'm not a lover of doing overnighters in uncomfortable locations. I do not take a sleeping bag with me much preferring to sit in a chair. I believe its important in these situations to be able to move at a moments notice. I would hate for something to happen and I miss it because I am very comfortable in a warm sleeping bag in the land of nod. I spent the night cat napping with an eye opening at any sound or alarm.

Night passed by with the dark sky turning lighter. Not by much as the storm clouds were still there. Looked like we was going to herald the new year as we left the last. Wet and windy. The place was much busier in the morning than it had been the previous afternoon when I turned up. I saw some familiar faces and went through the usual phrases that have become all to familiar between "Us" and "Them". "Any news?" They ask. "Nah! Nothing yet mate" I reply. or "anything happening?" "Yeah one or two bits but nothing to show for it" "Never mind" they would say "Something will happen soon" What the feck do they know.

The morning dragged on and I was treated to some close up views of others there holding some nice ones, big and small. I fixed a smile but I was a tad envious. Its hard to show real unbridled joy at others fortune when you are struggling. Don't get me wrong I was pleased for them but my joy could only stretch so far. I needed one myself and this back slapping was getting in the way of it. A time I shall remember well soon came along. 10.35am on the morning of the 1/1/14. An alarm sounded. I was too stunned for it to register for a minute. A shout of "Yes its your turn" filtered through and brought me to my senses. A frantic fight followed possibly the longest I have been involved with. At some point I thought I couldn't handle it. It went on for that long I was no longer enjoying it. It had to end one way or another. And end it did.

I held the "proper un" up for the one photo shoot that I had waited so long for. The one photo shoot that I had spent the best part of an uncomfortable 2 days and one night for. She weighed 8lbs 7ozs. Not the biggest I have held but for me she was worth her weight in gold. My first Grand daughter. And incidentally currently the country's youngest PACGB member.

You didn't think I was talking about fishing surely. I did say in the title it wasn't about fishing lol. Sometimes there are more important milestones to mark. Besides, I'm a squirrel type of piker.......Ain't we all?